Thanks for stopping by. For a peek at my studio click here.

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Quick Update

Lately my life has been crazy. I seem to say that a lot but this time it was truly out of control. In March I had to make an emergency trip to Virginia because my dad was very ill and not expected to survive, fortunately he did and is now home and recovering nicely! He is the most amazing man I know and I am so thankful that he is on the mend. I'll be heading back to Virginia later this summer for a fun visit :0)

Being off work, unexpectedly, for over a week left me way behind. It took me a week to catch up. We just started our busy time (which goes through September) so I haven't stopped since I got back.

And then this....

I leave on Tuesday for Ft. Lauderdale, FL to take part in the Once Upon a Steampunk Time class being taught by Deb Wood and hosted by Adele Sciortino! I have wanted to take classes with both of these amazing, talented ladies for a long time and next week I will be!

I will try to post while I am there. I am super excited to be a part of this class.

Hopefully once I return I'll have more heads to share!

Thanks for stopping by...


Tuesday, March 27, 2018

2018 Polymer Clay Challenge Weeks 7, 8 and 9

I spent the past week sitting with my dad in the hospital. Fortunately his prognosis is much better and he is hopefully on the road to recovery. It will be a rough road but his goal is to get strong and as healthy as he can. That works for me!

While sitting in the hospital I managed to complete several heads for the #2018PCChallenge.

Here they are:
Week 7

Week 8

Week 9

I am not sure what happened with week 8, he is a bit out there and the clay is dirty. I think if I clean him up and sand him a bit he will look better. Once they are painted and have hair I think they will look a lot better. It looks like I need to add a bit more skull to week 7 as well. 

One thing I realized, I am not as fond of the light clay as I am the darker clay.

These are not really my best work, but considering where I was and that I only had a few basic tools to work with I'm pleased. 

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Cinderella's Revenge

I am happy to say that I did finish my Haunted Fairy Tales project. She is a bit gruesome but I like her. 

I sent her pictures to Art Doll Quarterly for consideration on the 15th (nothing like cutting it close). I am so happy with the way she turned out regardless of whether I make it into the magazine or not. She was fun to create. Apparently I had a mad scientist laugh going on when I was taking her pictures :0) I'm just so pleased with her. 

Cinderella's Revenge

Wicket Step-Sister

Zombie Cinderella

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Heading to Virginia

My dad has been in and out of the hospital over the past 3 weeks so I've been a bit stressed out and haven't done much other than work and school (and my Cinderella zombie). Last night he had emergency surgery and thankfully is currently resting and comfortable.

I am heading to see him and my mom on Monday. Life is fragile and way too short and I need to be there.

Once he is stable and home I will be sculpting again and definitely be posting more. Before I leave I'll share the zombie Cinderella that I am submitting to Art Doll Quarterly.

Thanks for  stopping by ;0)


Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Zombie Cinderella Costume - Unlikely Source

I love to costume my dolls. It takes me forever because I want everything just right. I get hung up on the size of the print on the fabric, the way it drapes, texture... I drive myself crazy.

Which is why I enjoy contests, classes and challenges. I don't have time to overthink. I just have to move forward.

Since the Haunted Fairy Tale challenge is due by March 15th and I have a tough class to finish and a trip to So Cal to see my man before then, I do not have time to waste.

Imagine my delight when I was at my local thrift store and found this darling dress:

It is just perfect for my sculpture. Not as it is of course, but the fabric. The great thing about the size of art that I work in is that I can take a child's dress and make 3 or 4 costumes out of it for my sculptures.

This little dress has several layers of fabric, each one different. I can't wait to show you what I do with this :0) It looks more "blue" in person.
Outer Skirt

Under Skirts

Monday, February 19, 2018

Shoes for a Zombie Princess

I'm currently working on a Zombie Cinderella for Art Doll Quarterly's Haunted Fairy Tales challenge. After this weekend she has hands and feet!

Her shoes turned out better than expected. Obviously they need to be aged and zombified but now she has her "glass" slippers. The best thing is that she stands on her own in her heels!

Next up... fleshing out her body, painting her hands and feet, adding hair and then costuming. I'll be posting some info on her costume later this week.


Saturday, February 10, 2018

2018 Polymer Clay Challenge Weeks 5 & 6

I am on track with the 2018 Polymer Clay Challenge. I have been trying to take some time for myself so that I don't burn our studying!

Her are my sculpted heads for weeks 5 & 6
Week 5

Week 6

I am very happy with how these turned out. 

I have a special project that I am also working on. Zombie Cinderella :0) Check back soon for the progress pictures.